Heyward May Have Crashed the OF Market

Camden_yardbird

And that's good for the Orioles.

If Heyward really just took an 8 year deal worth less than $185 million after being projected for $200 million plus he may have deflated an OF market with plenty of supply. That could be good for the Orioles who may look to add two of:

Span, Fowler, Jackson, Venable, Upton, and Parra.

I would be really disappointed at this point if the corner outfield was comprised of Reimold, Rickard, Hoes or Alvarez. I'm not saying those players will be cheap, but I think you could see them go for upto 10% less than where they were projected.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And that's good for the Orioles.

If Heyward really just took an 8 year deal worth less than $185 million after being projected for $200 million plus he may have deflated an OF market with plenty of supply. That could be good for the Orioles who may look to add two of:

Span, Fowler, Jackson, Venable, Upton, and Parra.

I would be really disappointed at this point if the corner outfield was comprised of Reimold, Rickard, Hoes or Alvarez. I'm not saying those players will be cheap, but I think you could see them go for upto 10% less than where they were projected.

Two Opt outs 184. Eight years.

Anyone else a little bummed that, at that price, the O's weren't involved? I mean who knows, he may have had no interest in the AL or Baltimore, but man I like him at 8/184 a lot more than CD at 7/150.

Not even a little. I don't think Heyward is worth anywhere close to that number

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">heyward obviously went to school on ellsbury. jacoby 22M, jason 23M. statistically similar (.784 ops for JH, .768 JE)</p>— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) <a href="

">December 11, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Not even a little. I don't think Heyward is worth anywhere close to that number

Is that because you just don't value defensive stats as much? If so, fair enough. But I think at 26, there's even plenty of time for him to figure things out at the plate even more, and become a significant offensive threat as well. Left handed too.

Anyone else a little bummed that, at that price, the O's weren't involved? I mean who knows, he may have had no interest in the AL or Baltimore, but man I like him at 8/184 a lot more than CD at 7/150.

Nope. Not at all.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">MLB manager to Tom Verducci about Jason Heyward: "I just don't see it." <a href="https://t.co/DAxkNjntj4">https://t.co/DAxkNjntj4</a> <a href="https://t.co/38OBJX6gp4">pic.twitter.com/38OBJX6gp4</a></p>— Sports Illustrated (@SInow) <a href="

">December 11, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<iframe title="Twitter Tweet" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" id="twitter-widget-0" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen="true" style="padding: 0px; border: currentColor; border-image: none; width: 100%; height: 183.26px; margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px; display: block; visibility: visible; position: static; min-width: 220px; max-width: 500px;" allowtransparency="true" data-tweet-id="675402304145764352"></iframe>

<script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8" async=""></script>

If you discount the mammoth difference between a 26-year-old and a 30 or 31-year-old. Heyward could reasonably be expected to decline very little for the next 3, 4, 5 years while Ellsbury was expected to be in decline from day one.

Archived